First performances with the new material of the critical edition of the works of Richard Strauss
The Richard Strauss Werke - Kritische Ausgabe (RSW) is the first scholarly critical edition of Richard Strauss's musical oeuvre. Almost all of his compositions have so far only been available in largely uncorrected reprints of old editions. The new edition collects his most important works into 64 volumes, including all stage works, orchestral works, songs with piano or orchestra, and chamber music. Included are various versions and fragments, together with source documentation, the genesis of the works, and performance variants authorized by Strauss. The edition comprises printed musical volumes with integrated critical notes and is supplemented by an online platform with text comparisons and document collections. The detailed introductions and footnotes are published in German and English.
The edition is published by Verlag Dr. Richard Strauss--in cooperation with Boosey & Hawkes, Edition Peters Group, and Schott Music--and bound sturdily and attractively in embossed, bright red library linen.
The members of the honorary board of the RSW are H. K. H. Franz Duke of Bavaria, Renée Fleming, Mariss Jansons, Prof. Dr. Peter Ruzicka, Dr. Christian Strauss, and Christian Thielemann.Richard Strauss Werke - Kritische Ausgabe:
- The first scholarly critical edition of the works of Richard Strauss.
- Published by the Bavarian Academy of Sciences Munich under the direction of Hartmut Schick, in conjunction with the Richard Strauss Institute Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and produced by the Richard Strauss Research Unit of the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich.
- The first volumes--Macbeth, Lieder op. 10-29 and Don Juan--were published in April 2017.
- Critical notes are included in each respective volume of music; text comparisons and document collections are made available in digital form.
- Performance materials are planned to accompany the edition.Premiere performances of Strauss' Don Juan from the Critical Edition:
January 16 and 17, 2020 Alte Oper Frankfurt am Main
Frankfurt Radio Symphony Andrés Orozco-Estrada / ConductorMore performances:
January 27, 2020 Murcia
January 28, 2020 Madrid
January 29, 2020 Barcelona
January 30, 2020 ZaragozaFurther information:Website of the Richard Strauss EditionPerformances by the Frankfurt Radio Symphony